Please read the following information to prepare for your upcoming appointment with Safe and Sound Saddle Fit:
- Be prepared to ride during your appointment. If you are unable to ride, please have someone else present who can ride your horse instead.
- Please groom your horse before your fitter arrives. If your horse needs a short warm-up, please also do so before your appointment.
- Your appointment begins with an in-barn evaluation of your horse (untacked, standing on level footing in cross-ties or other quiet area).
- Evaluation includes facial conformation and symmetry analysis, palpation, brief oral exam, and discussion of your horse’s health/soundness/training history.
Current Bridle and Bit Fit Check Info:
- Please have your horse’s current bridle(s) and/or bit(s) available for your fitter to examine. You will be asked to bridle your horse so your fitter can evaluate your horse’s current bridle and bit.
- Your fitter will check your bridle’s and bit’s size, shape, position and tightness, suitability for your horse’s conformation, neutral bit position (no rein contact), and bit action (with rein contact).
- You may be asked to ride your horse so your fitter can assess your horse’s behavior and movement and your bit’s action(s) with various rein pressures.
- If your fitter adjusts your bridle and/or bit, you will be asked to ride again to observe any changes in the bit’s position and actions, and your horse’s behavior and movement.
- Current Bridle/Bit Fit Checks may take 15 to 45 minutes, depending on adjustments needed.
New Bit Fitting Info:
- Your fitter will first evaluate your current bridle and bit fit (see above; no extra charge).
- Your fitter will then try a variety of Neue Schule and/or TRUST bits to find suitable styles and sizes for your horse.
- You then test-ride each potential bit (demo bridles may be available to use with bits) in an arena (or other safe location with soft, level footing) at the walk and trot. Canter is optional.
- You and your fitter will evaluate your horse’s behavior, movement, comfort, and responses to various rein pressures to determine which bit(s) fit best.
- You may try as many bits as needed. Bits may be tested more than once.
- After your horse’s ideal Neue Schule or TRUST bit is determined, you may purchase the bit through us or from your favorite tack store.
- New Bit Fittings can take between 30 to 90 mins, depending on how many bits are tried.
Prices, Purchasing, and Fees:
- Payments are due at the time of service. Cash, Venmo, PayPal, check (payable to ‘Safe and Sound Saddle Fit), or credit card are accepted.
- Travel fees ($25/hour round-trip) are divided between all clients that day.
- Current Bridle/Bit Fit Checks cost $75 per bridle/bit combination per horse + travel.
- New Bit Fittings cost $125 per horse + travel.
- If you purchase a Neue Schule or TRUST bit from us during your appointment, your fitting fee is discounted to $100.
- Some lightly-used demo bridles may also be available for purchase from your fitter, priced according to condition; demo bridles are sold as-is and are nonrefundable. Demo Bridle Fittings are $125 per horse + travel + cost of the bridle itself.
- Please provide at least 24 hours notice for cancellations or rescheduling.
- HEALTH & BIOSECURITY: We take our human and equine clients’ health very seriously. We travel to many locations and touch many horses, saddles, bits, etc. If you or your horse has recently been exposed to or diagnosed with a communicable illness (e.g. strangles, EHV-1, influenza, COVID-19, strep throat, etc.) please contact us to reschedule.
- WEATHER POLICY: If the forecast is 10ºF or below or 100ºF or above on the day of your appointment, you will be contacted at least 24 hours prior to reschedule. We may also need to reschedule your appointment if weather and/or driving conditions are hazardous. We thank you for your understanding as we try to keep everyone comfortable, healthy, and safe!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns, or to reschedule your appointment.
Thank you and we look forward to assisting your and your horse!